Import taxes rates are mentioned below:
|Car Type||Import Duty||VAT|
|up to 1599cc||25%||15%|
|1600cc to 2000cc||35%||15%|
|2001cc to 3000cc||40%||15%|
|3000cc and above||45%||15%|
Following are applicable for reduced rates of duty:
In order to qualify, person must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a citizen or a former citizen of Trinidad and Tobago or the spouse of a citizen or former citizen.
- Have been resident overseas for at least five consecutive years, as evident by valid original passport or employment records.
- Returning to reside permanently.
- In order to import the vehicle, returning residents must submit the given below documents to the Comptroller of Customs, along with their letter and customs forms.
Proof of ownership (bill of sale, registration certificate, Certificate of Title, insurance certificate or official certificate from country of origin) of the vehicle.
Customs Declaration form (C82) (broker fills this out based on information you provide).
C84 form (filled out by your Broker based on the information you provide).
Bill of Lading, provided by the shipping company.
Declaration before a Commissioner of Affidavits or Justice of the Peace expressing an intention to reside permanently. Also confirming that the vehicle is for personal use and may not be sold or transferred within two years of the importation.
Concession is given according to the length of ownership of the vehicle:
- If the registered owner has owned the vehicle for more than six months but less than a year, the exemption is 25% of the payable duty.
- If the registered owner has owned the vehicle for more than one year but less than two years, the exemption is 50% of the payable duty.
- If the registered owner has owned the vehicle for more than two years, the exemption is 90% of the payable duty.
Please sign in to leave a comment.