Documents required :-
- Import permit
- Registration papers
- Original Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL should determine the Chassis, brand, model and year of manufacturing of the vehicle.
Other Import regulations :-
- Imported vehicles may only be sold or disposed in Namibia only after 24 months from the date of importation.
- Duty free importation of only one motor vehicle per family is allowed if owned and used at least 1 year prior to shipment.
- The used car exporter should have been the owner of a vehicle for 12 months or more before importing the vehicle to Namibia, otherwise duties and taxes will be applicable.
- VAT is always payable. If a new immigrant, the buyer must be in possession of a permanent resident's permit, when stopped for customs examination. It is advisable not ship the vehicle until the buyer is in possession of an import permit.
- Diplomats are exempted from the payment of duties and taxes.
- Vehicles are not allowed into Namibia on a work permit. A residence permit is required.
- Temporary residents have to pay a provisional payment covering full duties to be lodged with Namibian Customs which is refunded when the vehicle leaves Namibia within one year of its importation. For temporary residents, the Import Permit is not applicable if the vehicle is re-exported within 1 year.