To drive the vehicle on the road:-
After paying the required fee and clearing the vehicle at the Revenue Service Centre or Tax Collectorate, Motor Vehicle Examination Depot should certify the vehicle with a Certificate of Fitness to indicate that the vehicle matches with Jamaican standards.
For registering the vehicle, Certificate of Fitness with the import entry documentation is required. The documents should be taken to the Revenue Service Center/ Tax Collectorate to register the vehicle and other purpose.
Other relevant Information:-
- Importation of right hand drive car is allowed in Jamaica.
- Every three years, Jamaica’s residents or returning Individuals can import up to two motor vehicles; one motorcar and one light commercial vehicle or any two light commercial vehicles.
- Proof of immigration status such as a Work Permit must be shown by Non-Jamaicans.
- Returning residents may import an older car, if they have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months and approved by the Trade Board.
- A warranty of 90 days is required if buyer want to sell the used vehicle.
- Importing of special/classic/limited-edition cars requires a special license issued by Trade Board with a support application from Jamaican Classic Car Club.
The most recommended port for shipments from Japan going to Jamaica is Kingston. The most common shipping method Ro-Ro (Roll-on, Roll-off) method is used for vehicle shipment. However, on request of customers more expensive shipping method of container shipment is arranged.